main menu

Resident Handbook

If you live in one of the apartment communities we manage, this section of our website is just for you.

A tenant who experiences domestic violence cannot be evicted or face adverse action as a result of that violence — it is strictly prohibited by federal law.

Fir Acres

Home Forward may not deny assistance or admission to an applicant on the basis of the applicant’s current or past status as a victim of domestic violence, dating violence, stalking or sexual assault if the applicant otherwise qualifies for assistance or admission.

Home Forward may not terminate assistance to a resident/participant in the Public Housing or Section 8 program on the basis of an incident or incidents of actual or threatened domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, or sexual assault against that participant.

Home Forward may terminate assistance to any individual who is a tenant or lawful occupant and who engages in criminal acts of physical violence against family members or others. This action may be taken without evicting, removing, terminating assistance to, or otherwise penalizing the victim of the violence who is also a tenant or lawful occupant.

An owner, property manager, or Home Forward may ask that an individual certify, using a HUD-approved certification form, that the individual is a victim of domestic violence, dating violence, stalking or seual assault, and that the incident in question is a true incident of actual or threatened abuse. Click here to read or download the form.

All information provided to an owner, property manager, or Home Forward under this law must be retained in confidence, unless disclosure is requested or consented to by the individual in writing, or required for use in an eviction proceeding or termination of assistance, or otherwise required by applicable law.

In 2013, Congress reauthorized the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA…which does not only apply to women) and greatly expanded HUD’s authority to protect survivors of domestic and dating violence, stalking, and sexual assault, who live in HUD-assisted housing.

Tenant Information (English)

(Información del Inquilino) Español

(Информация об арендаторе) Испанский

Landlord Information

If you are experiencing domestic violence, you can call the confidential National Domestic Violence Hotline1.800.799.SAFE (7233) or 1.800.787.3224 (TTY).  The services referral hot line for contact information for local victim advocacy groups or services providers is 211 or 503.222.5555.  The Portland Women’s Crisis Line is 503-235-5333.

subscribe to our Newsletter

Home Forward Logo

Choose Your Preferred Language

English English Русский Русский Afsoomaali Afsoomaali Español Español Tiếng Việt Tiếng Việt

For Spanish, Russian, Vietnamese, Somali, and Arabic, this site uses Google Translate. Please contact us if any information provided in your language is incorrect or unclear. Vital forms are all translated by a specialized service. Read our Limited English Proficiency (LEP) Plan here.

Attention residents

As some of you may have heard, on August 20th 2023 the Portland Water Bureau’s regular testing of water quality detected small amounts of the bacteria Cryptosporidium. Since learning of this, Home Forward staff has been in contact with the Portland Water Bureau.

We have been assured that healthy individuals can and should continue using water as normal.

If you are immunocompromised or are taking an immunosuppressive drug, you can kill any potential cryptosporidium bacteria by boiling your water for 1 minute before consuming.

  • If you are boiling the water to drink, let the water cool.
  • Iodine and Chlorine do not kill this bacteria, and to treat for potential bacteria you should boil the water.
  • If you have questions please reach out to your property manager or resident services coordinator.

Please visit the Center for Disease Control website to get additional information.